The kitchen is a common gathering place for family and friends, particularly at Thanksgiving.

Manitoba Hydro wants to help keep you safe. If you’re hosting a big dinner, keep safety in mind – by following a few simple tips, you can make sure your special dinner is free of injury or damage.

  • Unattended cooking is by far the leading contributor in cooking fires and fire deaths. When cooking, don’t leave the stovetop unattended.
  • Check on your turkey frequently.
  • Many pieces of kitchen equipment require dedicated circuits, including stoves and microwave ovens. Don’t overload a circuit in your home. It could cause breakers to flip, ruining your meal, or worse – it could cause a fire.
  • Cutting or burning through an electrical cord puts you at risk for electrocution. Keep electrical cords away from knives, scissors and stovetops.
  • A cluttered countertop can lead to clumsiness and overloaded circuits. When you’re finished using an appliance, unplug it, wait for it to cool and put it away.
  • Always unplug appliances before adjusting their attachments.
  • Keep a fire extinguisher near the kitchen.
  • Watch children in the kitchen – ovens can get very hot, and dangling cords can easily catch on wayward limbs.

discover more information from http://www.homefamily.net/2016/10/07/keep-safety-in-the-kitchen-a-top-priority/